Skip to main content

Homeschooling Goals

As a novice teacher with a novice student, I've been trying to figure out what exactly I want to accomplish with my son for this first year. I have to keep reminding myself that he isn't even 3 yet, so my goals can't be too ambitious. At SimplyCharlotteMason.com, they have a wonderful Early Years Guide that shows what can be realized during the preschool years. I particularly love the focus on habit training for "smooth and easy days." (For a free e-book by the same name, go here.)

I wanted to make my goals attainable and somewhat measurable. I found breaking them up into segments was helpful. So here they are...

Daily
  • Focus on obedience.
  • Review numbers 1-20.
  • Review letters by singing alphabet song and showing the letters as we do so.
  • Try to spend time outside (weather-permitting).
Weekly
  • Focus on our weekly topic by using books and practice (i.e. if our topic is kindness we will practice being kind to our friends and family and read books about being kind to others).
  • Have one outing a week (park, museum, library, etc.). This is in addition to attending preschool and MOPS.
Monthly
  • Increase how high we count.
  • Listen to a different classical composer.
  • Get a different art book to look at.
  • Memorize a new Bible verse.
By the end of the year
  • Count to 100.
  • Know and recognize letters of the alphabet. (He can already sing the song, so we might be able to get further than this.)
  • Be comfortable tracing letters and numbers.
The adventure starts on Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue...

About Me

  Hello! Welcome to my blog. What you will find here are my attempts at sorting through my ideas and implementation of homeschool curriculum and activities that I have pursued with my own two boys. The Beginning I began this blog in 2008 when my oldest was only a year old. It began as a family blog chronicling our adventures as a young family in Seattle. We decided early on that we wanted to homeschool our two sons. Honestly, now, I don't remember why we decided to do that, but we did it nevertheless. We began teaching our children as soon as they could walk and talk. We made many mistakes along the way and so learned to follow the lead of our children in what they were interested in. We focused on delight-directed learning with a lot of outings and fun things to do. When things got rough, we learned to adapt and switch things out. Moving To Thailand In 2015, our family moved to Thailand. We started another blog for our time there, but alas it was not a good fit for us. We had int...

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of ...