Skip to main content

About Me

 
Hello! Welcome to my blog. What you will find here are my attempts at sorting through my ideas and implementation of homeschool curriculum and activities that I have pursued with my own two boys.

The Beginning

I began this blog in 2008 when my oldest was only a year old. It began as a family blog chronicling our adventures as a young family in Seattle. We decided early on that we wanted to homeschool our two sons. Honestly, now, I don't remember why we decided to do that, but we did it nevertheless. We began teaching our children as soon as they could walk and talk. We made many mistakes along the way and so learned to follow the lead of our children in what they were interested in. We focused on delight-directed learning with a lot of outings and fun things to do. When things got rough, we learned to adapt and switch things out.

Moving To Thailand

In 2015, our family moved to Thailand. We started another blog for our time there, but alas it was not a good fit for us. We had intended to work with migrants and refugees on the Thai/Burma border, but it didn't work out the way we had hoped. What did stay consistent, however, was our homeschooling endeavors. Living in a remote town, we didn't have access to schools, so I continued to homeschool our sons while also teaching a homeschool co-op with other English-speaking kids that lived there. That co-op was the best part of our time in Thailand. We focused our learning using unit studies about different countries, and I documented those country units in this blog as well.

Moving to Olympia

We moved back to Washington in late-2016, and this blog went silent for a number of years. We tried to live in the Seattle-area when we first moved back, but eventually found ourselves moving to Olympia due to cost of living. Because we were new to the area, I wanted the boys to make friends as quickly as possible from our neighborhood so I enrolled them in the public school in January 2018. They were 3rd/4th grade by then.

A LOT of things happened then. We discovered almost immediately that the boys were considered highly-capable in both reading and math and were designated to go to the hi-cap classroom the following year. I dreadfully missed teaching however, so I decided to pursue my Masters in Teaching Elementary Education. I also wasn't feeling well, but I chalked it up to all the stress that we had been dealing with both in Thailand and all the transitions we had been going through. Then, in early 2020, I was diagnosed with a rare disease called, Cushing's Disease. Basically, I had a tumor on my pituitary gland that was causing my cortisol levels to go crazy. I have some fantastic medical care at the University of Washington and they planned to perform brain surgery in March 2020. But then, COVID-19 hit. Surgery was delayed, and my symptoms got so intense that I couldn't get off the couch for more than a couple of minutes at a stretch. The boys were both home again doing virtual school since the schools shut down for the pandemic. I was able to get my brain surgery in April 2020 while on break from my MA studies.

I completed my student teaching in a virtual teaching environment while recovering from my surgery in the Fall of 2020 and got my degree and teaching certificate in December. I never thought that I would homeschool again since the boys were now older, and I was planning on becoming a full-time teacher. I got my first job as an on-site roving substitute for the remainder of the 2021 school year. I thought that my medical issues were behind me, but then the follow-up MRI showed that some of my tumor was still there. I had a second brain surgery in July 2021 while looking for long-term teaching positions for the fall. Because I knew I'd probably need to still be doing some recovery, I took a virtual teaching position. This position was a horrible fit, and I regretfully had to leave it within the first three months. I went back to the school that I had worked at in the Spring of 2021 as a long-term replacement substitute in a 3rd grade classroom.

Homeschooling Again... This Time for High School

That Spring, I had a lot of things become very apparent to me. First of all, I realized that being a classroom teacher might not be the best environment for me. I had absolutely loved homeschooling. I loved being able to tailor my lesson planning to my kids' interests and abilities while making things rigorous and just the right amount of challenge. This seemed impossible with a class of 24 students all of which had different needs. Second, I realized that the public school system had reached its limit in what it could provide for my own two sons. Their giftedness was getting in the way. For one of them, this looked like frustration with a teacher who couldn't understand him and continued to give work that wasn't meaningful to him. For the other, it was boredom, especially in math. I knew that even though I didn't feel qualified to teach high school, I knew that I could coach and create opportunities that would be purposeful to them. So, I pulled them out of their middle school at the end of the Fall semester in 2022 just as I began to substitute teach full-time. 

Now, it is summer of 2022. I have been hired as a pull-out highly-capable teaching in a school district about 30 minutes from our home for only two days a week. Our family is homeschooling full-time. Both boys will be doing mostly 9th grade work although their needs require some variation in rigor. This blog will detail what we are doing with our homeschool throughout these next 4-5 years and how we plan to meet the needs of our two highly-capable (albeit very different) sons.

I hope you will join me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th