Skip to main content

Tea Time and Scripture Memory

Tea time looks a bit different than when we first started a couple of weeks ago.  In all honesty, it really should not be called Tea Time any longer as there is no tea involved (unless it is for me) and the special tea cups have gone away.  Really, though, I expected as much.  Little Buddy enjoyed the novelty of the tea cups and saucers at the beginning, but the special-ness of them wore off.  He now prefers his sippy cup, but he knows that he can have the glass ones if he wants them (and wants to be careful).

So, what are we doing now?  It's become part of our routine now that at 3 o'clock we have juice and cookies.  We sit around the table, enjoy our drinks, and have some special devotional time with our family.  Most of the time, daddy is able to take his short afternoon break at this time so he will read the boys a story from our Jesus Storybook Bible.  This doesn't take very long, so now we've added doing memory verses and hymns while we finish up our snacks.  I love that I've finally found a good time to do devotions together.  Mornings are just too hectic with our varied sleep schedules.

I'm excited about helping Little Buddy memorize some Bible verses.  It's been a topic of discussion recently on the yahoo group that I've joined for those with preschoolers who are interested in doing Ambleside Online curriculum in the future.  I really like the idea of a slow start with memorization, and not drilling the kids on getting verses memorized.  Instead, I've chosen a short Psalm to read to them after our Bible story is over.  I read the Psalm a few times before closing in our hymn for our week (month?).  Sometimes, I purposefully leave words out of the Psalm for Little Buddy to fill in, but mostly, I think he will familiarize himself with the passage just by hearing it over and over.  (I can't tell you how many board books the kid has memorized!)

Once we have a few verses memorized, we plan on using Simply Charlotte Mason's Scripture Memory System.  Basically, it helps you not only learn new verses by going over them every day, but it also makes it easy to review verses you've already memorized.  SCM also has a great list of Bible passages to help you get started if you want to know what to memorize.

Right now, we are learning Psalm 100.  It's a nice introduction to learning chunks of scripture without being very long.  I also love that it is about Thanksgiving.

Since we've been trying to spend more time outdoors, we've been singing This Is My Father's World.  I love this hymn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue...

About Me

  Hello! Welcome to my blog. What you will find here are my attempts at sorting through my ideas and implementation of homeschool curriculum and activities that I have pursued with my own two boys. The Beginning I began this blog in 2008 when my oldest was only a year old. It began as a family blog chronicling our adventures as a young family in Seattle. We decided early on that we wanted to homeschool our two sons. Honestly, now, I don't remember why we decided to do that, but we did it nevertheless. We began teaching our children as soon as they could walk and talk. We made many mistakes along the way and so learned to follow the lead of our children in what they were interested in. We focused on delight-directed learning with a lot of outings and fun things to do. When things got rough, we learned to adapt and switch things out. Moving To Thailand In 2015, our family moved to Thailand. We started another blog for our time there, but alas it was not a good fit for us. We had int...

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of ...