Skip to main content

Fall in California

We've traded falling leaves and winter coats for tank tops, shorts, and little boys running around outside in bare feet.  As much as I miss the changing of the seasons that we experienced in Seattle, we've had a lot of fun doing special outings, field trips, and family times that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

October
Our most exciting event this month is that my brother got engaged to his lovely girlfriend.  Since both Phil and I only have brothers this means that I finally get a sister and my boys will finally have an aunt!  We are very happy for them.

IMG_2651

School is also in full-swing, and we've had a lot of fun with various outings.  We went to the Mini-Maker Faire in Riverside.  N and Z got to shoot off rockets of their own making.  N's flew so well, it went right over the building!

421

We also took advantage of the free museum days here in San Diego and went down to the Natural History Museum with Grandma and Papa.  It corresponded nicely with our study of Genesis at the time.

IMG_20141007_120758

IMG_20141007_121107

Of course, we are in Southern California now so naturally we have been to the beach a number of times.  This particular time, we found out that there was going to be a lunar eclipse at the same time as we were there.  I tried to get a picture of it on my phone since we didn't bring any of the right equipment to view it.  You can't tell at all, but at least we had a nice outing!  =)

IMG_20141023_152743

IMG_20141023_152458


We have also gotten to visit some family that live here on Phil's side.  It's nice to hang out with cousins!

IMG_20141011_143146

We've seen a lot of Alisha's family as well.  Since the boys have no first cousins, they love hanging out with their second cousins that are closer to their age.

IMG_20141029_134259

As homeschoolers, we also spend a lot of time reading and going to the local library.  The boys love getting new books and hanging out in the kids area.

IMG_20141021_155610


November
In November we celebrated my grandmother's 80th birthday.  My parents hosted a large open house and invited a large group of extended family and friends to celebrate with us.  It was a really great time of connecting with people I haven't seen in 10-20 years!  My grandmother is an amazing godly woman, and I'm sad I didn't get any pictures of her (or anything else) that night.  But here is a picture of her holding Z shortly after he was born!

100_3324.JPG


Somehow during all the big get-togethers I fail at getting pictures.  Thanksgiving happened too.  It was fun, and I spent all my time hanging out with great family that I didn't think about taking pictures to remember it by.  Oops!

Other things that happened this month....

We went to the Getty Villa with some good friends.  We will be talking about the Greeks and Romans soon in Story of the World, so hopefully the boys will remember some of the stuff that we saw while we were there.  It was also great to spend time with our friends.

IMG_2624

IMG_2623


We also visited Green Oak Ranch in Vista during their Fall Fundraiser.  We hung out in the petting zoo, had an amazing BBQ lunch, played on bounce houses, climbed "rock world" (the boys' name for any grouping of rocks that they can get on), and got covered in foaming soap.  It was a good day.

IMG_20141122_123005

IMG_20141122_141256

IMG_20141122_143306

IMG_20141122_143742


Although technically my dad's birthday is in December, we celebrated his 60th a couple of weeks early so that my brother who was here from Baltimore could join us.  The whole family went to Joe's Crab Shack in Oceanside to celebrate.  Happy birthday, Dad!

IMG_2664

So, that's our catch-up from the Fall.  December is proving to be busy, and we are trying to squeeze as much quality time out of our time here before we move to Thailand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

A Brand New House

Another major thing we did while my parents were here last week was a major room change in our house.  It feels like a brand new home!  We have a play room, the boys are now sharing a room, and Phil and I have moved into Button's old room (which was really the library/office/nursery/catch-all room).  I am so excited!!!   I finally feel settled into this home since there is finally a place (or at least a room) for everything.  The boys seem to really love sharing a room, and they are actually going to sleep better than they were when they were separate.  It's fantastic. By far, I'm most excited about our play room.  This room comes right off the kitchen, and it used to be our master bedroom.  Now, we have our books and toys in it which keeps our living room so. much. cleaner.  This room will eventually become our homeschool room with some minor improvements in a couple of years.  In the meantime, we are enjoying the extra space to play and just hang out.  There's still