Skip to main content

My Favorite Preschool Websites

When I first started this blog, I went on an Internet rampage trying to find other bloggers who were trying to do the same thing I was.  I hoped to find some ideas of things that we could use in our own "classroom" and feel like I'm not alone in my quest to home educate my son.*  What I discovered was a host of amazing resources!  Apparently, homeschoolers like to blog and blog A LOT.  I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

Totally Tots
  • I think this has got to be my favorite blog out there.  It's a group blog with a number of different features that relate to young children.  For example, they have a feature called "Once Upon a Book" that focuses on one book and then gives a number of activities to go along with it including a craft, memory verse, and maybe a math or science lesson.  Other examples of features they include: "Crafty Corner," "Now I Know My ABCs," and "In My Heart - Bible Verse Memory."

Links to All Things Free for Homeschoolers - Preschool
  • This website has exactly what it claims to have.  On this particular link it provides even more links from around the web for all things preschool including: history, math, music, science, reading, and writing.
Homeschool Creations
  • There are so many good things to say about this site.  There are tons of free printables and ideas.  She has an entire section on preschool and another one on ABCs.  (I'm sure I'll be using her stuff a lot when we start doing letter of the week stuff next year).  I also love her extensive section on all the curriculum reviews she's done.
  • This is a friend of the gal who blogs at Homeschool Creations.  She also has an amazing amount of good material to use for ABCs, 123s, unit studies, holidays, etc.  I really don't know where some people find the time to do all this really cool stuff AND blog about it.  But there it is.  She also has ideas to use for kids who aren't quite ready for actually preschool yet called "Tot School."  It's quite cute what she does with her littlest ones.
  • This beautiful blog focuses mostly on Letter of the Week and Geography.  Lots of free printables, but they take a long time to download since you have to go to another website to do it from.  You can also buy all her printables and download them all at one time for a cost of $10 or $15.
  • This lady has 5 kids with TWO sets of twins.  Again, where do these people magically find time to blog?  Anyway, another great website with ABC activities, holiday crafts, school organization, etc.

A few other websites worth mentioning...
  • 2 Teaching Mommies - Blog with great ideas for arts & crafts and preschool unit studies
  • 100 Digits - A friend of mine's blog with great resources for things to do in Western Washington
  • Starfall - A free public service to help children read using phonics.  Includes free ABC printables but also has interactive activities for preschoolers to do on the computer.
  • Leapfrog - I have these people to thank for teaching my son his letters and their sounds.  They have some great printables on their website.
  • Homeschool Christian - Field Trip ideas for each letter of the alphabet
  • PreKinders - Ideas for everything preschool
  • Hubbard's Cupboard - Great Christian website for integrating faith with learning.  Geared towards preschool to kindergarten. (We are using a lot of their ideas for our advent calendar this year).
  • Simply Charlotte Mason - I love their free e-books.  This method of teaching really makes sense to me.  I especially like the ideas of music and art study.  Definitely not just for preschool.
  • ABC and 123 Learning - Another good all around website/blog for preschool learning.  They call themselves a "learning cooperative" where lots of people contribute to the blog with their preschool ideas.

So, what are your favorite websites?



*I've been asked if we are going to homeschool Noah and Zach throughout their entire education.  My response is that we are going to homeschool until it stops working for us.  There may come a time where we just believe one or both of them should be in a private or public school, and we are open to where God may lead us in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

A Brand New House

Another major thing we did while my parents were here last week was a major room change in our house.  It feels like a brand new home!  We have a play room, the boys are now sharing a room, and Phil and I have moved into Button's old room (which was really the library/office/nursery/catch-all room).  I am so excited!!!   I finally feel settled into this home since there is finally a place (or at least a room) for everything.  The boys seem to really love sharing a room, and they are actually going to sleep better than they were when they were separate.  It's fantastic. By far, I'm most excited about our play room.  This room comes right off the kitchen, and it used to be our master bedroom.  Now, we have our books and toys in it which keeps our living room so. much. cleaner.  This room will eventually become our homeschool room with some minor improvements in a couple of years.  In the meantime, we are enjoying the extra space to play and just hang out.  There's still