Skip to main content

October

 It's only the middle of November, right?  I can still talk about October.

The month began when I realized that a Groupon deal was about to expire at the Imagine Children's Museum.  We quickly made time to go.

Buddy likes being part of the statue




October also brought about the boys first attempt at "competitive" sports.  Buddy just loved playing soccer, especially as the goalie.  Button wasn't as sure about it, but he had fun too.  It was funny to watch three and four year olds try to kick the ball into the right goal.  They got there eventually though.


Practice


Buddy as goalie.  He wasn't very interested in going after the ball, but he enjoyed keeping the ball out of the goal.

Button spent a lot of time on the sidelines with us.
Buddy had a blast.

We also spent a lot of time at parks this month.

At Greenlake

The Community Garden at Twin Ponds

Twin Ponds Playground

Scriber Lake

There was an amazing boardwalk at Scriber Lake.  This park is quite close to the Trader Joe's so I could see us going here more often.



Of course, we went to the pumpkin farm, but I've already written about that.



We are still doing Pre-K with the boys.  We aren't as consistent as I'd like, but I'm learning a lot about how to make our lives fit with homeschooling.  The boys love doing preschool, and usually ask to do more when we are done.

Learning about the stages of the moon with Oreos

Taking apart an old computer

Making felted soap for Christmas gifts

Finished felted soap!

Making Yarn Pumpkins for craft

During my birthday weekend, my parents were able to come up and visit.  It was a busy time with soccer practice and game and a fun harvest party with church.  It was a wonderful weekend.

Buddy on the pony ride

Button and Grandma decorating pumpkins

Kids and Grandparents

mmm... popcorn

The boys got to use a manual apple cider press.  The juice was amazing.

The turtle and dragon in the bounce house.

A few days before the end of the month, we finally carved our pumpkins.  Button wasn't sure what to think, but Daddy was our master carver and made some good jack-o-lanterns.



That's our October in a nutshell.  Busy but lovely fall activities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue...

About Me

  Hello! Welcome to my blog. What you will find here are my attempts at sorting through my ideas and implementation of homeschool curriculum and activities that I have pursued with my own two boys. The Beginning I began this blog in 2008 when my oldest was only a year old. It began as a family blog chronicling our adventures as a young family in Seattle. We decided early on that we wanted to homeschool our two sons. Honestly, now, I don't remember why we decided to do that, but we did it nevertheless. We began teaching our children as soon as they could walk and talk. We made many mistakes along the way and so learned to follow the lead of our children in what they were interested in. We focused on delight-directed learning with a lot of outings and fun things to do. When things got rough, we learned to adapt and switch things out. Moving To Thailand In 2015, our family moved to Thailand. We started another blog for our time there, but alas it was not a good fit for us. We had int...

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of ...