Skip to main content

Why I Love Homeschooling

It's a new year and a new "term" of homeschooling.  Since we are only doing Pre-K, this basically just means that I get to reevaluate what we've been doing and what changes I want to make if any.  As I look back at our first real term of homeschooling, I feel more confident that this is what is right for our family.

Homeschooling is great.  I get to spend time cuddling on the couch reading books with my kiddos, go on nature walks, and see them get excited when they learn something new.  It is full of rewards.

Nature Walk in December


Other days are not so nice.  These are the days where we "have" to get somewhere first thing in the morning.  Of course, these are probably the days that we were blessed to "sleep in" and thus, we are in more of a hurry.  Breakfast seemingly takes forever, and the boys seem to have completely forgotten how to put on their clothes or that I've even asked them to get dressed.  (Squirrel!)  Add to this a stressed out mommy who really likes to make it to places on time, and you get a very unhappy family.  (This scenario would happen a couple of times a week sadly).

One day it dawned on me that this is what every day of my life would look like if we decided to put our kids in traditional school.  Every morning would be a rush, rush, rush of trying to get kiddos to eat breakfast, get lunches and backpacks packed, kids dressed and groomed, and there would be no time for us to just be together as a family.  Picking them up from school would be no better.  Homework would need to be done, dinner to be made preferably without children underfoot, and bedtime established.  If we did any sort of organized sports or music lessons, this would have to find its time during our precious afternoon hours together as well.  Not to mention, I would have no idea how I can  possibly have everyone sit still long enough to establish good habits.  This just doesn't sound like the kind of life I want to lead.

I realized though that even without my kids in traditional school, I could let my life spiral out of control with too much "good" stuff.  Even things like doctor appointments and taking my husband to coffee shops to work from could compromise a successful morning of meaningful time with my kids -- time, that I've found, sets the tone for the rest of the day.  Consequently, to the extent that it is possible, I've resolved to stay home until at least 10:30AM every morning.  This means that if we have doctor appointments or swim lessons, those need to be scheduled after this time.  We've also reluctantly but happily decided to become a two-car family giving my husband the freedom he needs to get around town without relying on me and to have the ability to better host out-of-town guests.  I know that even with these two small changes we will see a big improvement in our family life.

Showing off their Lego Math designs
And really, at this point, what I call "homeschooling" is mostly about being a family.  The boys are in Pre-K.  There isn't a lot of academics, but there is a fair bit of reading cuddled up on the couch.  There is putting together Geo-Puzzles and Lego projects.  There is creating art and handicrafts.  This is quality time where the boys know that they have the full attention of their mother without her hurrying from place to place with all of her "important" things to do.  It's a time when we learn the most about each other and deal with our successes and failures in a non-threatening way.  If this time gets derailed by other events, we lose out on the joy of spending time with one another.

Homeschooling is great in other ways too.  Life is education.  We can always learn something by doing life together.  Doing experiments with snowballs, watching salmon swimming upstream, learning how to be polite around other people are all ways that we can experience life together in a fun and meaningful way while learning something at the same time.  We can work on habits throughout the day instead relying on only the busy hours that I get with them outside of school times.  I can teach my children about God, and start our day out with devotions, memory verses, worship, and prayer.

Doing a project together
Not to mention, my kids light up when I say it's time to do preschool!  They know it's going to be fun, and I hope to foster a lifelong love for learning.  Since I am their primary educator, I can reevaluate what whether or not things are working and how to tailor it to best suit each child's needs.

Of course, there are going to be drawbacks.  One of the big ones is the lack of "me" time.  If my kids were in traditional school, I would have hours to myself each day.  That really does sound amazing.  However, I was surprised when reading Large Family Logistics, that the author said that we really don't need "me" time.  I thought she was crazy!  How could a woman with 8-9 children not need "me" time?  I only have two, and I feel overwhelmed at times.  However, I've realized that when good habits are formed in my children, I really can have smooth and easy days.  I can enjoy my children and want to be around their company.

There are times though that I do need to be alone.  I need personal time with God, time to plan our homeschool or meals, time to exercise, and time with my husband.  For me, I've found that my YMCA membership has given me that mental break while allowing me time to get into shape.  The boys also have a set quiet time every afternoon where I can do my devotions and homeschool/meal plan.  The boys have also joined Pioneer Club which gives my husband and I about an hour and a half of "us" time.  It's not a lot each week, but it's sufficient.  I also know that God will give me what I need each day, and I've discovered that I pray a lot more throughout the day for His strength and wisdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th