Skip to main content

A Modern Luxury

Virginity is a luxury.  In our world of promiscuity, safe sex, and birth control, we can easily forget that our bodies are something to be protected and consecrated.  We throw away a greater treasure for a one-night stand.  We sub intimacy for immediate gratification.

I was raised with the godly view that I should save my body for marriage.  I was taught that I had value and that I shouldn't go after cheap imitations of love.  I should wait until I've said my vows, and give my husband the greatest gift I could give him on our wedding night - my virginity.  It's a beautiful dream, and one that I was blessed to have come true in my own life.  I traded my purity ring for my wedding ring.

I am blessed.

However, as I look into the plight of the thousands of women in Thailand, I realize that my virginity was a luxury.  I had my choice on how I was going to use my body.  Many women around the world are not given that same choice.  They have to choose instead whether to prostitute their bodies or starve or see their children starve.  They have no skills on which to fall back on, and so they are left desperate.  They have loans that were loaned at 300% interest that they will never be able to repay.  They sell their own underage daughter's virginity to the highest bidder which pays only a pittance of their extortionate loans.  These young girls are not given a choice.

I found this article on the Charis Project's blog.  It talks of women in Cambodia.  Here's an excerpt:
When a poor family in Cambodia fell afoul of loan sharks, the mother asked her youngest daughter to take a job. But not just any job. 
The girl, Kieu, was taken to a hospital and examined by a doctor, who issued her a "certificate of virginity." She was then delivered to a hotel, where a man raped her for two days. 
Kieu was 12 years old. 
"I did not know what the job was," says Kieu, now 14 and living in a safehouse. She says she returned home from the experience "very heartbroken." But her ordeal was not over. 
After the sale of her virginity, her mother had Kieu taken to a brothel where, she says, "they held me like I was in prison." 
She was kept there for three days, raped by three to six men a day. When she returned home, her mother sent her away for stints in two other brothels, including one 400 kilometers away on the Thai border. When she learned her mother was planning to sell her again, this time for a six-month stretch, she realized she needed to flee her home.
My life is so different from that of Kieu's.  She was bought by filthy men who cared nothing for her as a person.  My life is so very different.  This is my story:
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.  I Corinthians 6:19-20
Yes, I was bought too.  I was bought by my loving, perfect Savior through His blood on the cross.  He took my guilt away, and asks that I glorify Him in my whole body.  Kieu was bought by a sinful man who took away her innocence and defiled her.  I have value through being the temple of the Holy Spirit of God.  What does Kieu have?

How can I glorify God with my whole body?  Could I use this weak vessel to help girls like Kieu get out of their nightmare? Can more be done to help these girls?  Please pray for these women.  It is happening all over the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put