Skip to main content

September 2014

September was a month that I'd never want to relive again.  It was a month fraught with depression, loneliness, isolation, frustration, and uphill battles.  Everything that I had been pushing off in my busyness of the previous months suddenly came crashing down once there was a chance to breath again.  Yet, through it all, I've come to learn some pretty important lessons.  I've learned more about myself, my husband, and even my children.  I've been able to reconnect with my family and learn to enjoy them again.  My prayer life has taken on a whole new dimension, and I've learned so much about the God I serve.  My husband is a stronghold; a person who speaks truth into my life and loves me for just who I am.  My kids are a joy again instead of objects that often got in the way of what I had to accomplish for the move.

I'm thankful that I was also able to go through this part of the transition on this side of the ocean.  My parents have been wonderful in allowing us to stay in their beautiful home and being fantastic grandparents to the boys.  It has been so nice to have this extended time with them before the bigger move.

So, what have we been doing in California?  Well, for one thing, we started school!

Z is in Kindergarten!

 Untitled

N is a first-grader!

Untitled

I still can't get over just how much we love homeschooling.  Especially after two months of feeling like I was pushing my children away to get things done, it feels amazing to spend some real quality focused time with them every morning.  This year for history, we are studying the Ancients, so we did some cave paintings early on.

Untitled

This year is going to look a lot different from last year.  Last year, we only had one kid "officially" in school, and it was only Kindergarten anyway.  Our year became more and more less structured and more "unschooled" as it went on.  I was never worried though as N is such a sponge for learning, and he picked up so much last year as did Z.  We had access to an incredible library system in Seattle so we never had any problems finding books about anything the boys were interested in the time.

This year, though, we have two boys officially in school.  We don't have all the physical resources at our fingertips like we did in Seattle.  Because of this, we are more structured and I'm trying to keep our physical books to a minimum.  This does not mean, however, that N isn't in to doing his own unschooling.  He begs to "play" Khan Academy all the time.  He loves mastering challenges, getting badges, watching math/programming/art history videos, and learning things on his own.  Z can't read yet, so during his free time, he loves to play Starfall or do math games like 2048 or 2584.

Untitled

As I've already alluded to, I also had somewhat of an identity crisis this month.  This manifested itself through Phil and I dying my hair pink late one evening after one of our date nights.  For the record, I was going for an unnatural red, but it came out pink.  Yah... that lasted a whole week before I landed myself in a nice comfy chair at Fantastic Sams.

Untitled
And if you think it looks cute, you should have seen it without the hat.
My scalp was dyed red so it looked like I was bleeding, and we didn't cover the bleach very well.
I was more of a Neapolitan.


It's been really hot here in California, so we've been hiding out at home in the A/C for a lot of this month.  However, the last weekend of September, we did get to go to the Harbor Days in Oceanside with my parents.  It was fun to see all the military vehicles, peruse around the artisan vendors, and just play on the beach.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

While we've been here, our house has been for sale up in Seattle.  It is still on the market even though we've already reduced our price once.  Please pray for a buyer soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

My Decision to Homeschool and Blog

What mother doesn't want to give her child the best education possible? The debate over the decision to put one's children in private school, public school, or to homeschool can often be heated. I truly believe that each option has its place, and that each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I've struggled with the decision a lot, and my oldest isn't even 3! (This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, and therefore wish I could plan out every moment of my life RIGHT NOW). After a lot of prayer and talking to some very wise people (on all sides of the issue), we have decided to *mostly* homeschool our children for now. I say this with two caveats. First, my oldest will be attending a private preschool in the fall. However, he is only 2 1/2 so his one-day-a-week preschool is basically a practice in socialization (and giving this mama a chance to do errands with only one child instead of two). I do not expect thou