Skip to main content

December 2014

Our last month living in the United States.  We've come a long way since last January when God started really laying this overseas move on our hearts.  Thankfully, we've had some meaningful time with family here in California, and we've been able to celebrate some momentous occasions and build good memories.

This month my dad turned 60!  Although we celebrated a bit early so my brother could join us, we also celebrated Quito day in honor of the city that my father grew up in.  I can't get enough of the ceviche and empanadas that accompany this special day that will always remind me of my rich heritage.

IMG_20141206_173031

We also spent that same evening decorating for Christmas.  

IMG_20141206_171530

Homeschooling was very loose in the month of December.  We spent a lot of time just doing extra fun things, and focusing on what Christmas is about.  We especially enjoyed going through Ann Voskamp's Unwrapping the Greatest Gift and making our paper Jesse Trees.

IMG_20141130_224215

IMG_20141130_224017IMG_20141130_165755IMG_20141130_162458

Since we are truly nerds at heart, we also went to the STEAM Maker Faire in Del Mar.  We had a great time seeing all the amazing things that people have made and learning more about science.  Guest appearances with Star Wars are always an added bonus!

IMG_20141206_103948


IMG_20141206_111102


IMG_20141206_131108


Steam fest San Diego

Phil accidentally started a new business this month too.  This guy truly has the best timing!  He is making his own custom wooden keyboards or selling them as kits.  Check out his website!  Even kids can make them.  =)

Atreus cases


IMG_20141121_202701

N also turned 7 years old this month.  He shares a birthday with Jesus which is pretty cool.  We took him to Boomers and Panera Bread for his birthday with the grandparents.  We definitely miss having all our friends around, but we had a lot of fun playing video games, bumper boats, go-karts, and a round of mini-golf.  Happy birthday!

Birthday golf

So, remember how I said last month that I need to be better about taking pictures at holidays.  I made a real point to take a bunch of pictures at Christmas of the people we were with and things we did.  It was great... up to the point when I was downloading the pictures onto my computer and accidentally deleted half my pictures from December.  Thankfully, we had some pictures from Phil's camera and a new camera we got from Christmas!

IMG_20141224_161446
Playing with our new rocket balloons with Great-Aunt Rickie and future-Aunt Shannon
IMG_20141225_103500
These guys sure know how to get us into the Christmas spirit!  =)

A couple of days after Christmas we went for a prayer walk at a local monastery.  The views were amazing.

DSCN0012

Phil and I also celebrated our 10-year anniversary on New Years Eve!  Here's to another 50 more!

DSCN0017


We also got all of our paperwork done for Thailand.  We leave January 15th!

IMG_20141207_191535

So, that was our last month.  Good-bye 2014!  We are looking forward to the adventures this new year has in store for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th