Skip to main content

Books of 2013

Well, I'm continuing my new tradition of keeping track of the books that I've read throughout the year.  Last year, I read 36 books.  This year, I read 59!  My goal was to read a book a week, but I was surprised how many more I read.  I did read more novels this year, so that definitely helped.

I really enjoyed a new-for-me author, Kate Seredy.  Her book The Chestry Oak is just fantastic, and I enjoyed The Good Master and it's sequel The Singing Tree as well.  I also read any of the Jane Austen canon that I hadn't read before.  I think that next year, I'll have to reread some of the ones I've read before.

I also read a lot of Sally Clarkson's books.  I just love her encouragement for moms.  In February, I get to go to her MomHeart Conference in California that I'm super excited about.  Tim Kimmel's books are also excellent.  I reread his Grace-Based Parenting book this year, and read his new book Grace-Filled Marriage.  I definitely recommend them!

Novels/Biographies
1.  Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
2.  Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
3.  Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
4-8.  Lineage of Grace Series by Francine Rivers - Tamar, Rahab,Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary
9-13.  Sons of Encouragement Series - Aaron, Caleb, Jonathan, Amos, and Silas
14.  Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
15.  Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman
16. The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
17. Just Desserts by Mary Daheim
18. Village School by Miss Read
19. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
20. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
21. Farewell to Manzanar by James D. Houston
22. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
23. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
24. Oleander, Jacaranda by Penelope Lively
25. The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy
26. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
27.  The Good Master by Kate Seredy
28. The Singing Tree by Kate Seredy
29.  The White Stag by Kate Seredy
30. The Tenement Tree by Kate Seredy
31. Persuasion by Jane Austen
32. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
33. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
34. Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure


Christian Books
35.  Jesus: the One and Only by Beth Moore
36.  Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
37.  The Radical Disciple by John Stott
38.  One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
39.  Dancing with my Father by Sally Clarkson
40.  The MomWalk by Sally Clarkson
41.  Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
42. Hebrews for Everyone by Tom Wright
43.  Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
44. The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness by Timothy Keller
45. Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson
46. When Helping Hurts by Corbett and Fikkert
47. Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson
48. Grace-Filled Marriage by Tim Kimmel

Food/Health
49.  Twenty-One Days of Total Transformation by Mark Sisson
50.  Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel
51. Everyday Paleo and Everyday Paleo Cookbook

Education
52.  A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Van DeMille
53. The Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv
54. Project-Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert
55. The Unschooling Unmanual by Jan Hunt
56. The School Revolution by Ron Paul

Misc. Non-Fiction
57.  The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
58.  Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me by Karen Swallow Prior
59. What the Robin Knows by Jon Young

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th