Skip to main content

Week One of Homeschooling Completed

We have officially completed week one of our adventure of home education. However, as I think more about what we are doing, I think it is more like "structured parenting." Not a lot of actual teaching is going on, but I think that is okay. It's more about "Atmosphere, Discipline, and Life" as Charlotte Mason would say.

It was definitely hard to get started this week. We did make it to the library on Monday and the store on Tuesday, but that was about it. We didn't get a chance to read our books on Monday because by the time naptime was over, it was too nice and sunny outside not to go out and play. And considering that the weather hasn't been as nice the rest of the week, that was probably the best thing. I realized late that doing the emergency kit with my preschooler wasn't going to work out the way I planned. We really didn't need anything special from the store since we pretty much had everything already. I did buy some batteries for our flashlights in the house though.

Wednesday worked out nicely. I borrowed a fantastic book with CD from the library on the Carnival of the Animals, and my son just LOVED it. It had a different poem and picture for each of the tracks on the CD, and the poems were narrated as well. He spent well over an hour on the couch in the morning going through the book that first time. We had already been listening to the music before this, but he hadn't made any connections with it. It seems that he is a visual learner. Every time I put the music on now, he wants to go through the book. We've been doing this mainly at lunch time. I just prop the book up on the table, and change the pages for him after every track.

On Wednesday, we also made our yummy granola bars. He helped me measure out all the ingredients and stir the batter together. He loves getting the stool out to help me with this, and he was very proud of his accomplishment (especially when he got to eat the result). While the bars were baking, we read all the school books to prepare him for traditional preschool the next day. He really enjoyed this as well. (It's amazing what you can accomplish when your one-year old takes a nice long nap!)

Thursday's traditional preschool went well. My son seemed to enjoy it, but trying to figure out what happened from my two-year old was quite difficult. I do know that it completely wore him out. He took a nap much earlier than normal. I also figured out that I need to probably bring him lunch to eat on the way home since he seems to have used up all his calories that morning with structured play! He is looking forward to going back to school next week.

On Friday, we got out the playdough. I had made playdough for him a few months ago, and it was still good! He really enjoyed using all the cookie cutters and other manipulatives. We had to listen to Carnival of the Animals again then too. It was quite fun!

Our Successes This Week
  • Carnival of the Animals! I had borrowed this book from the library, but I'm sure that we will be getting it for our own library in the near future.
  • I wasn't surprised that my son also really enjoyed all the books we got about starting school. His favorite one was called Little School by Beth Norling, but my favorite one was The Berenstain Bears Go to School.
  • Baking the granola bars. This wasn't on our list "to do" this week, but it is definitely something I'd like to add to our weekly line-up. The granola bars were awesome and were consumed within 48 hours of baking!
  • Although we could have worked more on his Bible verse this week, my son is recognizing it. While listening to a lullaby song with the words of Philippians 4:13, he announced that it was the "I can do all things" song. I was really surprised.
What Could Have Gone Better
  • We had a hard time getting started.
  • I need to put holds for books at the library earlier if I want to make sure we have them by the start of the week. Some of the books I wanted to go through didn't become available until Thursday, at which point it was too late. Not that we can't go through those books later, it just won't complement what we are talking about that week.
  • I underestimated how hard it is to "do school" with a one-year old in the picture. It's hard to read books because he wants to grab at them and take them away from his older brother. I do think that this will get better with time, and he will have had the benefit of absorbing what we are doing.
What I've Learned
  • I think I want to incorporate crafts more into our routine. I'm not an artistic person, but the granola bars were a hit. I'm thinking that we might do some baking together once a week, and choose another day for more artistic (i.e. paint, scissors, glue) type crafts.
  • For our monthly music selection, I need to find books or art prints to go along with it. This will help my visual learner understand better what he is listening to.
I'm getting a better feel for what we are doing here. I think the next few weeks are just going to get easier. Adventure part two starts Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

My Decision to Homeschool and Blog

What mother doesn't want to give her child the best education possible? The debate over the decision to put one's children in private school, public school, or to homeschool can often be heated. I truly believe that each option has its place, and that each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I've struggled with the decision a lot, and my oldest isn't even 3! (This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, and therefore wish I could plan out every moment of my life RIGHT NOW). After a lot of prayer and talking to some very wise people (on all sides of the issue), we have decided to *mostly* homeschool our children for now. I say this with two caveats. First, my oldest will be attending a private preschool in the fall. However, he is only 2 1/2 so his one-day-a-week preschool is basically a practice in socialization (and giving this mama a chance to do errands with only one child instead of two). I do not expect thou