Skip to main content

Our Big Trip Part I

We went to Thailand last month.  It already seems like it happened ages ago, and I feel like we've come home different people.

We began our trip in California where we left the boys with my parents for the almost two weeks.  We don't have much pictures of them from these weeks, but we know that they had a fabulous time with their grandparents.  They went to the fair, the beach, swimming at their great-grandparents pool, parks, and even a Gas and Steam Engine Museum.  They knew what was in store for them, so they were eager to have mom and dad go!  My parents were great, and I'm glad they got that time with them.

We had a great flight going to Chiang Mai.  Phil's parents drove us from my parent's home in San Diego up to the Biola area where we had a nice dinner with some of our close college friends.  Then, our good friend Luke drove us to LAX so we could catch our almost midnight flight to Hong Kong.  The flight was about 14 hours long, and I spent most of my time trying to sleep, watching tv shows and movies.  I just love the personal screens!  My adrenaline kept me up for much of that flight.  We arrived in Hong Kong around 6AM Hong Kong time and then caught a shorter 3 hour hop to Chiang Mai.  I slept most of that flight which gave me the energy to stay awake most of our first day there.  We arrived in Thailand around 10AM.

Untitled
Hong Kong Airport

We had a lot to do our first day there.  We had to check into our apartment, get phone and Internet access, and buy a bus ticket to Mae Sot on the Thai/Burma border for the next day.  We also had to procure food for our weary bodies.  We were pretty excited to be able to eat Thai food in Thailand.

Untitled
Our $15/night studio apartment

Untitled
Another view

Our apartment was nice.  The building actually hosts many people who just live there permanently, and there were a lot of farang (foreigners) around.  It was amazing for the price.  Unfortunately, it's A/C unit was broken and there was no fan.  For these Seattle-ites, that was pretty tough especially with the humidity.  It was also a long walk into town, so we probably won't stay there if we go back.

There are 7-Elevens everywhere.  This amazing convenient store is where we acquired our phone and Internet for the week, where we changed our money to more reasonable portions after going to the ATMs, and where we hydrated!  Our phone and Internet card cost us less than $15 for the ten days we were there.  Thankfully, Phil's phone is unlocked so it was simple to just put in a new sim card.

Untitled
You can find one of these everywhere!
The next stop was lunch!  We stopped at the first Thai restaurant we saw, and ordered a crispy garlic fish with rice.  Phil also got a papaya smoothie - our first of many, many smoothies on this trip as we coped with the heat and walking almost everywhere.

Untitled
Our lunch was looking at us

Untitled
Phil enjoyed his smoothie

After lunch, we walked another few kilometers and finally decided to get a Tuk Tuk ride the rest of the way to the bus station.  Tuk tuks are basically a built-out motorcycle rickshaw thing that are everywhere in Chiang Mai.  It was an easy way for us to get around although more expensive than the songthaew which were pick-up trucks with two benches in the back and are covered.  We used both modes of transport while were there.  Thai traffic is amazingly fluid as the cars, tuk tuks, scooters, bikes, etc. all take the lines on the road as a means of suggestion.  They also drive on the left side of the road which will take some getting used to.


tuk tuk ride
In the back of a tuk tuk

Untitled
One of our tuk tuk drivers

After getting our bus ticket for the next day, we started our trip back to our apartment.  We thought it would be nice to walk through the Old City, so we aimed for that area of town.  We ended up walking by the ESL Certification/Thai Language school that I'm interested in and the English used book store that I think I'm going to find myself in quite frequently.  The Old City was fun.  It was built in the 1200s, and it is about a square mile surrounded by a moat and many old walls.


IMG_2322
Part of the old wall and the moat

outside chiang mai gate
Us

It is really touristy with lots of hotels, guest houses, restaurants, stores and massage places.  It was a fun place to visit, but I'm thinking that we won't go there often if we move here.

We continued our walk home after getting some ice cream.  =)  When we finally crashed on our bed, I looked up about how far our walking had taken us.  I'm guessing we walked about 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) that day.  Not too bad for two people who just got off a plane!  We didn't even get heat-stroke although Phil kept throwing water all over himself.  We went to sleep that evening around 7PM and slept until 4AM ready for another day in this new country!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put