Skip to main content

Story

Stories are dangerous.  They shape and change us.  Their words make us into who we are.

My kids love stories.  They love it when I make up stories about them or read them books.  N seems to especially always have his nose in a book.  These books and stories will shape who they will become.  It is my job to make sure that they are surrounded by the best books there are in hopes that their thoughts will be formed by good character.

But I also think of my own stories.  So many stories.  The stories that shaped my childhood.  I wasn't much of a reader as a kid, but I grew up hearing about the five missionaries who were killed in Ecuador and how instead of losing hope, their families went again and brought the Auca/Waorani tribe to faith in Jesus.  This story was personal as my dad grew up in Ecuador and was friends with the children of these missionary heroes.

I think of my godly heritage.  My great-grandfather was a pastor and an evangelist.  My grandparents were missionaries for over 40 years.  My parents raised me to love my Lord Jesus and to care for what was going on in the world.

These same parents immersed me in great Christian biographies.  I remember the Trailblazer series that my mom got me when I was homeschooled in middle school.  I was enamored by these Christian warriors who gave all for Christ.  I wanted to be like them.  Then there are books like the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.  Hero tales vanquishing evil in the world.

I attended Biola University, and got a degree in Intercultural Studies.  I had the privilege of studying under some incredible professors who had served abroad and the stories they told were inspiring.  I also met some fascinating MKs who all had their own stories to tell including one that I later married.  =)

In 2010, we started attending Bethany Community Church North in Seattle.  Every Sunday, we've been blessed to hear stories and sermons from the pulpit.  Yet, I must admit that my church is quite dangerous. It's forming my heart and mind in ways that I wouldn't have otherwise ventured toward. Our pastors are constantly challenging us to live out our calling, to grow closer to God, to Be The Church.  The weekly sermons have made me look past myself and see the needs around me.  The church has encouraged me to learn more about justice, mercy, and compassion.

I started reading more as a result.  I read stories and books.  Books on Social Justice like RadicalToo Small to IgnoreWhen Helping Hurts, and Fast Living.  Stories about real people like Katie, Mother Theresa, Gladys Alyward, Nate Saint, George Muller, and Hudson Taylor.  Books and stories that inspire one to action.

Earlier this Spring, our church had a guest speaker come from World Relief.  He told stories of being "Radically Available."  He told stories of pain and suffering in countries around the world.  He spoke on how we can step into that story.  Listen to the sermon.  It's amazing!

Then, I blogged about watching a documentary about the Karen in Burma.  Stories.  Real people, real struggles, real needs.  I read news articles about human trafficking and sex slavery.  Orphans and widows.  The poor and the needy.
Isaiah 1:17 (ESV)
Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.
What am I going to do about it?  I've been inhaling this all for so long, and I need to exhale.
Micah 6:8 (ESV)
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? 
What do you do with the stories that you grew up with?  As for us, it is calling us to action.  We are now in the process of selling our belongings and  moving halfway across the world.  We don't believe that this is the right course of action for everyone, but we have seen how God has shaped our lives through our circumstances and desires to lead us where we are now.  It's scary, but I know He is with us every step of the way.

I'll leave with this music video by Hillsong pretty much sums up how I've been feeling these last few months...

Comments

  1. exciting to see how the story continues to be written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th