Skip to main content

Thailand Part III

Our trip back from Mae Sot was beautiful.  Aaron took us back in his car since he had to go to Chiang Mai anyway.  I was amazed at some of the beauty I somehow missed on the way there that I was able to witness on the way back.

IMG_2384
A village on a river

IMG_2377
Transporting an elephant.

Unfortunately, I somehow contacted a virus from either food poisoning or some other way, and ended up being extremely sick that evening - like more sick than I can ever remember in my life.  I kind of want to forget most of that though so I'll save you the ugly details.  Thankfully, I was mostly better the next day, and at least fully functional.  I even tried eating again, and had some more amazing Thai food.

Untitled
Pineapple Fried Rice at the Night Bazaar
I was so glad I was feeling better the next day because we went to go visit Partners Relief and Development that day.  We had sort of met some people who work for Partners in Mae Sot at the house church we went to, but it was good to talk to some people that work in their main office.  We even found out that one of our acquaintances from Biola worked there so that was kind of neat to make that connection.  We learned a bit more about what they do and how they are serving the people of Burma there.  Prior to our trip, we had been reading the books that they have published, so it was fun to be there with them.  As much as we like what they are doing, it was pretty obvious that we were not a good fit for their organization.  Phil's skills are too specialized, and though I could teach ESL, I'm not yet certified, and I need to focus on homeschooling our boys.

Since Partners was on the other side of town from our hotel, we needed to find some good transportation.  We walked a bit to the brand-spanking-new mall in Chiang Mai called Central Festival, and as soon as we walked in, we felt like we were somewhere in downtown Seattle or San Francisco.  We were pretty tired, so we didn't explore the extremely modern five-story mall, but we stopped at the closest coffee shop in it to enjoy the A/C and get a drink.  Next door to this shop was a Starbucks, and it was across the way from a Cold Stone.  The place was expensive so I doubt we'd find ourselves in this mall much (we don't like to go to the mall now anyway), but it's nice to know about.

Untitled
Phil relaxing

On Friday, we met with the Free Burma Rangers.  FBR provides humanitarian relief to Internally Displaced People (IDPs) inside of Burma.  Their website explains it better than I can:
The Free Burma Rangers (FBR) is a multi-ethnic humanitarian service movement. They bring help, hope and love to people in the war zones of Burma. Ethnic pro-democracy groups send teams to FBR to be trained, supplied and sent into the areas under attack to provide emergency medical care, shelter, food, clothing and human rights documentation. The teams also operate a communication and information network inside Burma that provides real time information from areas under attack.
A more detailed description can also be found here.

When we visited their main office, we discovered that they had an acute need for their computer database system where they document what their teams are doing inside of Burma.  The following day, we then got a chance to talk to someone that had been working on the database a few years ago, and Phil got a better understanding of what their needs really are.

After talking with them, we realized just how much Phil's skills line up so neatly with the needs of FBR.  We are now in the process of applying with their organization as volunteers, and we hope to be joining them next year.  With the joy that this brings, it has been difficult to let go of our desire to partner with the Charis Project.  We hope that we can maintain our relationship with them, and hope to visit them in Mae Sot again - next time with our kids in tow!

We have a lot to get ready for in the coming months.  We appreciate your prayers!

I'll leave you with the FBR motto:
Love each other. Unite and work for freedom, justice, and peace. Forgive and don’t hate each other. Pray with faith, act with courage, never surrender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

Typical Day at our Coop

Here is what a typical day looks like at "school" Play Time Drop-off time at school is 8:30AM.  We are currently made up of four families and have seven kids.  We intend to be more of a homeschool setting than a school, so we try to make it as engaging with the kids as possible.  They usually just want to hang out with their friends once they first see them in the morning.  Play time first thing in the morning allows for them to get some energy out, connect with their friends, and let the parents chat a bit before getting into the school day. Sharing Time Z sharing about his last book that he read Once we've gathered all the kids together, we have sharing time.  I do this mostly to ward off rabbit trail conversations and questions throughout the morning.  I have each kid come up individually and usually ask them a question.  Usually, it's something like, "What did you do this weekend?"  Or maybe it's "Show and Tell".  Many of th