Skip to main content

Advent - December 2010

I'm going to be doing something different here for the month of December.  We will be a doing a fair bit of traveling and a lot of festivities are about!  I know that I'm not going to be able to keep up with all that's going on here on the blog so I thought I'd just share with you up front what we are going to be doing to celebrate Advent and Christmas.  


First of all, this time of year is always crazy for our family.  Not only is December 25th the day that we celebrate Jesus' birthday, but it is also Noah's birthday.  We want to make our almost 3 year old feel special that he is another year older, but the holiday is super important too!  It feels hard to not overlook our precious son.  We hope to do a few things special for him, and will probably let him open up his birthday presents a few weeks early.  At this age, he doesn't understand yet when exactly his birthday is, and I'm sure he'll accept gifts at any time.  ;-)


Second, we are going to be taking a break from our normal preschool routine and just focus on Advent.  We might do some extra activities here and there, but for the most part we are going to take it easy.  We will be having a composer of the month, though!  We will be listening to Hallelujah! Handel and the rest of Handel's Messiah during this Christmas season.  We'll take a break from our art study, but I'm getting excited about what we get to do in January.  I've just discovered that Costco's Photo Center now has an Art and Image Gallery where you can get gallery enlargements and poster prints from $1.49 to $8.99!


Finally, I've always liked the idea of having an advent calendar where we have something special to do with the kids each day as we get closer and closer to celebrating the birth of Jesus.  So, I made an advent calendar.  I'm not a crafty person, but I thought this would be fun.  My awesome husband helped me, and I think we got it finished in less than 2 hours!  After it's completion, I made up a list of what we are going to be doing each day.  I picked up a lot of the ideas and reading from the list at Hubbard's Cupboard.  


Wednesday, the 1st – Set up Nativity Set, Wrap Baby Jesus in a box for the boys to open and put in the manger.
Thursday, the 2nd – Read Luke 1:5-25, Make an Angel Craft
Friday, the 3rd - Read Luke 1:26-38, Make a nativity craft out of construction paper
Saturday, the 4thLuke 1:39-56 , Christmas Cookie Party
Sunday, the 5th - Read Luke 1:57-80, Advent Wreath Week 2
Monday, the 6thRead Matthew 1:18-24, Make Peppermint Bark
Tuesday, the 7th - Read Luke 2:1-5, Christmas Coloring Page
Wednesday, the 8th - Read Luke 2:6-7, Go to the Children's Museum
Thursday, the 9th - Read Luke 2:8-20, Do a lamb craft
Friday, the 10th – Read the “Legend of the Candy Cane”, Eat a candy cane
Saturday, the 11th - Read Luke 2:21-38 and Luke 1:31-32, Decorate Jesus' name
Sunday, the 12th – Read Matthew 2:1-12 , Advent Wreath Week 3
Monday, the 13th – Go Downtown to look at all the Christmas Decor
Tuesday, the 14th – Read Little Drummer Boy by Ezra Jack Keats, Go Christmas caroling
Wednesday, the 15th - Read Matthew 2:13-23; Luke 2:39-40, Drive around looking at Christmas lights
Thursday, the 16th - Read 1 John 4:9 and John 3:16, Learn John 3:16 Song (tune of “Jesus Loves Me”)
Friday, the 17th – Take an airplane ride to visit Grandma and Grandpa Broach
Saturday, the 18th – Make a Christmas tree craft
Sunday, the 19th – Advent Wreath Week 4, Make a trip up to see old friends
Monday, the 20th – Christmas coloring page
Tuesday, the 21st – Drive around looking at Christmas lights
Wednesday, the 22nd – Make a wreath craft
Thursday, the 23rd – Christmas Coloring Page
Friday, the 24th – Make an ornament craft

I hope to get to most of these things, but things do change quickly around here.  Who knows?  We might even have a lot of snow like we did last week.  There are a lot of variables, but I think it will be a fun month.  I'll do my best to post updates occasionally this month, but not as regularly as before.  We should be back up and running in the month of January!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

My Decision to Homeschool and Blog

What mother doesn't want to give her child the best education possible? The debate over the decision to put one's children in private school, public school, or to homeschool can often be heated. I truly believe that each option has its place, and that each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I've struggled with the decision a lot, and my oldest isn't even 3! (This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, and therefore wish I could plan out every moment of my life RIGHT NOW). After a lot of prayer and talking to some very wise people (on all sides of the issue), we have decided to *mostly* homeschool our children for now. I say this with two caveats. First, my oldest will be attending a private preschool in the fall. However, he is only 2 1/2 so his one-day-a-week preschool is basically a practice in socialization (and giving this mama a chance to do errands with only one child instead of two). I do not expect thou