Skip to main content

December 2011 Advent Calendar

December begins tomorrow!  And so does our advent calendar!  Yikes!  Our family has been so sick this last month with pneumonia, pink eye, ear infections, and now mama's wisdom teeth taken out that getting ready for Advent has been difficult.  However, the end is in sight, and I have high hopes for an enjoyable Advent season.


Like last year, we will be using my muffin tin advent calendar.  For each day, there is a M&M for each person to enjoy along with a strip of paper with our fun activity and Bible verse for the day.  Here is what our family will be doing this year: 


Thursday, the 1st – Genesis 3:1-21, Set up Nativity Set, Wrap Baby Jesus in a box for the boys to open and put in the manger.
Friday, the 2nd – Genesis 6:5-8, Make a nativity craft out of construction paper
Saturday, the 3rd - Genesis 12:1-7, Visit Nativity exhibit at Crista
Sunday, the 4th – Genesis 21:1-7, Advent Wreath Week 2
Monday, the 5th - Genesis 22:1-14, Make Peppermint Bark
Tuesday, the 6th – Genesis 28:10-22, Christmas Coloring Page
Wednesday, the 7th - Genesis 37:31-33 and Genesis 50:15-20, Assemble car kits for the homeless
Thursday, the 8th - Deuteronomy 5:1-22, Movie Night - watch Veggie Tales: St. Nicholas: The Story of Joyful Giving
Friday, the 9th - Ruth 1:1-2:3 and Matthew 1:5 & 16, Make a clothespin wreath
Saturday, the 10th – Joshua 2:1-21, Go Downtown to see Christmas decorations here and here
Sunday, the 11th - I Samuel 16:1-13, Advent Wreath Week 3
Monday, the 12th – 2 Samuel 5:1-5, Christmas Picture Study
Tuesday, the 13th – Isaiah 9:2, 6-7, Read the Legend of the Candy Cane, make candy canes out of pipe cleaners and eat one!
Wednesday, the 14th – I Kings 18:17-39, Christmas coloring page
Thursday, the 15th - Isaiah 11:1-9, Drive around looking at Christmas lights
Friday, the 16th - Jonah 3:1-4:4, 11, Make salt dough handprint ornaments
Saturday, the 17th – Micah 5:2-5, Gingerbread House Building
Sunday, the 18th – Esther 4:10-17, Advent Wreath Week 4
Monday, the 19th – Habakkuk 2:1, 3:16-19, Make Christmas cookies
Tuesday, the 20th – Luke 1:2-25, Christmas Caroling
Wednesday, the 21st – Matthew 3:1-6, Papa, Grandma, and Uncles arrive
Thursday, the 22nd – Luke 1:26-38, Great Wolf Lodge
Friday, the 23rd – Matthew 1:18-25, Great Wolf Lodge
Saturday, the 24th – Luke 2:1-5, Great Wolf Lodge
Sunday, the 25th - Merry Christmas!  Read Luke 2:6-21 and open our three gifts!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

My Decision to Homeschool and Blog

What mother doesn't want to give her child the best education possible? The debate over the decision to put one's children in private school, public school, or to homeschool can often be heated. I truly believe that each option has its place, and that each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I've struggled with the decision a lot, and my oldest isn't even 3! (This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, and therefore wish I could plan out every moment of my life RIGHT NOW). After a lot of prayer and talking to some very wise people (on all sides of the issue), we have decided to *mostly* homeschool our children for now. I say this with two caveats. First, my oldest will be attending a private preschool in the fall. However, he is only 2 1/2 so his one-day-a-week preschool is basically a practice in socialization (and giving this mama a chance to do errands with only one child instead of two). I do not expect thou