Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Links

My biggest thing I'm thankful for right now?  That my pneumonia is gone!  No wonder I've had no energy and been sick for a month.  My new doctor and the antibiotics are a godsend.  Thank you, Jesus, for health!

So now, I know it is a bit late for a "what to do to get ready for Thanksgiving" post, but better late than never.  Besides, now I'll be able to look at my archives earlier next year to get my own ideas!

Instead of coming up with my own stuff though, I thought I'd just link to what some other people in the blogosphere are doing for this holiday.

  • Homepreschool and Beyond
    • Thanksgiving craft ideas, poems, service for the needy
  • Sweetbits
    • Free grown-up printables for putting you in the Thanksgiving mood!
  • Ministry to Children
    • Free Thanksgiving coloring pages
  • Homeschooling in a Bilingual Home
    • This is currently one of my favorite blogs.  She has some great living book recommendations for younger children to read at Thanksgiving.  More here and here.
  • Homeschool Freebie of the Day
    • Even if you don't homeschool or plan to homeschool, you should check out this blog.  They provide daily freebies of e-books.  Currently, they have a number of Thanksgiving titles that are worth downloading.
  • TipJunkie
    • Found this on Pinterest, and it has a bunch of great ideas to do with kids for Thanksgiving including books to read and crafts to do.
That's about it.  I'm glad to be feeling better this week (finally!) which means that we might actually be able to do some of this fun stuff.  I'd especially like to memorize one of the thankfulness Bible verses with Buddy and Button.  We can do that by Thursday, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Disciples

As I've been learning more about Charlotte Mason and her methods, I've been thinking especially about what she means by "Education is a Discipline."  As I was reading her thoughts on discipline from her Homeschooling series, I was particularly struck by the following quotation. Discipline is not Punishment ––What is discipline? Look at the word; there is no hint of punishment in it. A disciple is a follower, and discipline is the state of the follower; the learner, imitator. Mothers and fathers do not well to forget that their children are, by the very order of Nature, their disciples... How Disciples are Lured ––He who would draw disciples does not trust to force; but to these three things–– to the attraction of his doctrine, to the persuasion of his presentation, to the enthusiasm of his disciples ; so the parent has teachings of the perfect life which he knows how to present continually with winning force until the children are quickened with such zeal for virtue

Styrofoam Tray Shrink Art

Making styrofoam shrink art was one of those fun childhood memories I have from being a kid.  My mom would clean off the meat or veggie trays from the grocery store, give it to us kids to draw on, then we would watch in awe as our creations shrunk before our very eyes in the oven. I really wanted to do the same thing with my kids so I (silly-me) tried to find a tutorial of the sort on the Internet.  I did this mostly because I didn't know the temperature the oven needed to be or how long it should be in there.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't find one!  The closest thing I found was this website , but there were no pictures or anything.  I decided to wing it - it couldn't be that hard, right? And, yes, this craft is super easy.  First, I gave the boys a clean tray and a bunch of markers for them to draw with. I had to convince them to color a lot  since they were only making small markings. We put their creations on an aluminum-covered baking sheet, and put

My Decision to Homeschool and Blog

What mother doesn't want to give her child the best education possible? The debate over the decision to put one's children in private school, public school, or to homeschool can often be heated. I truly believe that each option has its place, and that each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I've struggled with the decision a lot, and my oldest isn't even 3! (This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, and therefore wish I could plan out every moment of my life RIGHT NOW). After a lot of prayer and talking to some very wise people (on all sides of the issue), we have decided to *mostly* homeschool our children for now. I say this with two caveats. First, my oldest will be attending a private preschool in the fall. However, he is only 2 1/2 so his one-day-a-week preschool is basically a practice in socialization (and giving this mama a chance to do errands with only one child instead of two). I do not expect thou